FritzPro Magnesium Chloride
- Pure Magnesium Chloride
- Customize Your Parameters
- Same High Quality Ingredients as RPM Marine Salt Mix
- Economical, High Value Dry Powder
- Ammonia and Phosphate Free
- No Uneccessary Trace Elements
About FritzPro Magnesium Chloride
FritzPro Magnesium Chloride is a high-quality concentrated magnesium salt that is designed to replenish magnesium in captive reef systems. Monitoring and maintaining proper magnesium levels is an important part of stabilizing water chemistry values, resulting in better coral, coralline algae and invertebrate growth and health.
Being the third most abundant ion in natural seawater behind sodium and chloride, magnesium is an important ion for reef aquarists to understand and monitor. Magnesium is an important part in many biological processes and is an essential part of calcification. In addition to its many biological functions, magnesium helps to stabilize the correct combination of calcium, alkalinity and pH values. Severely low magnesium levels can cause low pH values and the inability to maintain proper alkalinity and calcium values. Magnesium also serves to prevent the excessive precipitation of calcium carbonate from aquarium water.
The recommended level of magnesium in the aquarium is 1250 ppm to 1350 ppm. If magnesium levels fall below this range, calcium has been found to be much more difficult to get to the proper levels of concentration. Unfortunately, magnesium often is depleted from reef aquariums as calcification incorporates it into calcium carbonate skeletons and precipitates. This means magnesium concentrations that are too low can cause pumps and heaters (and any warm object) to get coated with precipitating calcium carbonate.
Magnesium helps to stabilize the correct combination of calcium, alkalinity and pH values. Severely low values of magnesium (900 mg/L or below) can cause low pH values and an inability to maintain proper alkalinity and calcium values.
Directions & Dosage
Adjustment Dosage: Begin by measuring the magnesium concentration of the aquarium water and determine how much you wish to increase it. Each 4.4 grams (1 tsp) per 10 gallons will raise magnesium level approx. 14 ppm. Do not raise magnesium by more than 100 ppm per 24 hours.
- For best results, dissolve FritzPro Magnesium Chloride in RO/DI or distilled water before dosing to sump or high flow area of the aquarium
- FritzPro Magnesium Chloride can be used in conjunction with FritzPro Magnesium Sulfate to more closely match the natural ratio of seawater
- No equipment restrictions necessary
- No contraindications: can be used with all of our other products and meds
- Safe for invertebrates
- Dry products measured by volume (teaspoons, cups, etc) will always give approximate results – use a gram scale if available. If a gram scale is not available, be sure to test for correct concentration after use
- It is recommended to dose in partial increments of 1/3 to 1/2 of the total. Wait 24 hours after first partial dose, check magnesium levels, dose another portion
- This product becomes hot when mixed with water, use rubber gloves. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Wash hands after handling
- Some cloudiness is normal
- Storage: Store in a cool, dry place with lid tightly sealed
- Overdosed? Observe livestock for distress, perform small water changes if needed
- Test for magnesium with reliable magnesium test kits
NOTE: If magnesium levels are too low, the addition of calcium and alkalinity supplements will simply result in the chemical precipitation of calcium carbonate. Adjust the magnesium concentration first with FritzPro Magnesium Sulfate and FritzPro Magnesium Chloride or Fritz RPM Liquid Magnesium before adjusting calcium and alkalinity.